“Practicing with total attention within the body is advanced yoga, no matter how easy the posture; practicing with your attention scattered is the practice of a beginner, no matter how difficult the posture”
“Set your life on fire.
Seek those who fan your flames”.
“The success of Yoga does not lie in the ability to perform postures
but in how it positively changes the way we live our life and our relationships.”
What does Namaste mean?
The gesture Namaste represents the belief that there is a Divine spark within each of us that is located in the heart chakra. The gesture is an acknowledgment of the soul in one by the soul in another.
Nama means bow, as means I, and te means you. Therefore, namaste literally means “bow me you” or “I bow to you.”
Definition courtesy of US yoga teacher Aadil Palkhivala
Yoga Etiquette…a general guide
These are my guidelines…
1. Try to arrive at class at least 10 minutes early to settle before it starts.
2. If you are late and our period of quiet sitting has already started, stand quietly just outside or just inside the door.
Wait until after we have finished before you unpack your mat and find your space in the class.
3. Refrain from wearing strong perfumes, hair-sprays or deodorants.
4. Stay for savasana (relaxation), this is an important part of the practice and is not optional.
5. Turn off your phone. If it makes a noise it will disturb others as well as you.
6. Respect the space and mats of others. For example, don’t walk across someone’s mat to cross the room,
or stand on it without permission.
7. Be present in your class…respect and try to listen to your body, mind and breath at all times.
8. Yoga is not competitive…try not to look at others. Their practice is theirs and yours is yours.
What do you think?
September 15 Yin Yoga – NEW! Monthly Friday session at the Samuel Lucas JMI School on Gaping Lane in Hitchin. Hour and a half class. £10 drop in. Note the October class will take place on 27 October, but usually the regular day will be the 3rd Friday of each month.
December 9 2017 – Workshop: Yin and Yoga of the Inner Path. Tutors: Rachel Williamson and Sarah O’Connor. 1.30-5.30pm. Venue: Samuel Lucas JMI School, Hitchin. See Events page for full details. Spaces are limited so book yours now if you want to join us.
February 3 2018 – IYN Regional Day of Yoga in Hitchin – all welcome. A choice of classes, workshops, and talks throughout the day. A chance to experience a broad variety of approaches and teachings, as well as to share friendly community. Cost: IYN Members £35, non-members £45. Details of how to purchase tickets will follow soon.
2018 – Yoga Retreat. I’m in the process of finalising details of next year’s retreat, which will probably take place in MAY.
I am looking at different venues from the one I mentioned in my previous newsletter, and these will be sorted very soon.
In the meantime, please contact me if you’re interested in the retreat. It’s an excellent chance to deepen your yoga practice and knowledge; build friendships and community; have yourself some quiet and reflective time away from the stresses and strains of everyday life. I have had excellent feedback from previous participants.